Dear Hume-Fogg Parents and Students,
Hume-Fogg has been approved to opt out of Standard School Attire beginning with the 2009-10 school year. The "new" Hume-Fogg dress code is below, and restates the dress code policy that was in place prior to the adoption of SSA by Metro. I wanted to get this information out to all parents as many of you in the upcoming month will be purchasing chool clothes for next year. Please note that torn clothing is prohibited and that includes any holes in jeans.
Hume-Fogg Dress Code Policy
Metro Nashville Public Schools is committed to providing a safe a nd secure environment. In addition, a respectful and safe learning atmosphere is essential for the education of each student.
- Skirts, skorts, and shorts must extend below the fingertip.
- Outerwear such as long or oversized raincoats and heavy cold-weather jackets or coats may not be worn in the classroom.
- All pants must be worn at the waist. No sagging or low riding.
- No see through type clothing is to be worn.
- Appropriate footwear must be worn at all times.
- Head coverings such as bandanas, scarves, sweatbands, caps, do-rags or hairnets are not to be worn.
- Undershirts and tank tops, if worn, must be worn with another "cover up" shirt. Shoulders, backs, chests, and midriffs must be covered.
- Torn clothing is prohibited.
- Writing or images of substances that are illegal for teens (i.e. drugs, alcohol, or tobacco products) or are otherwise offensive, lewd, indecent, vulgar, obscene, profane, gang-related or constitute racial or ethnic slurs may not be worn.
- Tattoos that display drugs, alcohol or tobacco products, or gang or sex-related words or images must not be seen at any time.
- Chains and spiked accessories are not permissible.
Approved head coverings worn as part of a student's bona fide religious practices or beliefs shall not be prohibited under this policy. Hume-Fogg will provide reasonable accommodation to students whose bona fide religious belief, medical condition or disability requires special clothing.
Hume-Fogg reserves the right to modify this policy as necessary and reserves the right to determine what might be disruptive and unsafe.